914 museums in Poland with a statute or rules approved by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage
376 museums from public sector including:
- 21 state museums;
- 325 regional or municipal museums;
- 27 co-governed museums:
- 14 listed in regional register of museums by local or municipal government unit;
- 14 listed in The State Register of Museums of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage;
538 museums from private sector including:
- 347 private museums of private persons;
- 177 private museums of private institutions/organisations;
- 14 church museums
129 museums from above list are registered by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage in State Register of Museums.
When preparing the list, we worked on the basis of the legal regulations in force in the field of museology, taking into account the necessity of defining fundamental operating standards for museum institutions. The basic criterion for a museum to be entered on the list was for its statute or rules and regulations to be approved by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage.